Food Premises Approval

Does my business require approval?

If you run a food business which handles, prepares or makes food of animal origin for supply to other businesses then, in most cases, your food business and its activities must be approved by the Council.

What are foods of animal origin?

These include:

  • meat and poultry – whether fresh, frozen or cooked 
  • meat products such as pies or sausage rolls 
  • minced meat, meat preparations and marinated raw meat products 
  • fish and fishery products 
  • ready meals containing fish or meat 
  • milk and dairy products such as butter, cheese, cream, yoghurt and dairy ice cream 
  • rendered animal fats and other animal products such as gelatine, collagen, bladders, intestines 
  • blood 
  • honey

Can I trade without approval?

No, you should not trade without approval. If you are found to be trading without approval the Council can consider serving you with a Remedial Action Notice which will prohibit production until you are approved.

I bone out and cut fresh meat at my premises to sell to wholesale trade. Do I need to be approved?

Yes, you may need to be approved by the Food Standards Agency. Find out more about meat cutting plants and whether you will need approval.

How much does it cost for approval?

There is no charge for approval.

How to apply

What to do if we refuse your application

Please contact Bradford Council.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Get email updates about local business and investment news

Contact details

Department of Environment and Sport
Environmental Health
Britannia House

Phone : 01274 437766

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now