Adult shop, Adult Cinema and Adult Entertainment Venues

To run an adult shop, cinema or entertainment venue, you will need a licence from Bradford Council.

Am I eligible to apply?


  • must be at least 18 years old 
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence 
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

Summary of the regulations

How we evaluate your application

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached. You'll need a debit or credit card to pay the fee.

Applications must be in writing (including by electronic means) and contain any information we require, as well as your name, address and, where the applicant is an individual, their age, plus the address of the premises.

Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.

Apply now

What to do if we refuse your application

Please contact Bradford Council in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence, or refused the renewal of a licence, may, within 21 days of being notified of the refusal, appeal to the local magistrates' court.

However, the right to appeal does not apply where the licence was refused on the grounds that:

  • the number of sex establishments in the area exceeds the number which the authority consider is appropriate 
  • the grant of the licence would be inappropriate considering the character of the area, the nature of other premises in the area, or the premises themselves