Make a reversion application

Please help us by submitting these applications by email to Payments can be made by telephone on 01274 433807 from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday or online at Pay a building regulations fee or invoice.

Under the Building Act 1984 it is possible for a third party Approved Inspector to carry out the building control function for controllable work. They do this by submitting an Initial Notice to the Council. This removes the Council from any obligation to control the work. Approval of the work becomes subject to the Approved Inspector's control.

Where the Approved Inspector is no longer able to carry out that function, for whatever reason, and the work has started, the Initial Notice will need to be cancelled. The work will then need to revert to the local authority building control team by making a reversion application. 

The local authority building control team is the only body allowed to retrospectively approve work. There is a prescribed form for the cancellation notice (Prescribed Form 7) which can be found on this page.

Failing to submit, without reasonable excuse, a cancellation notice, in the case of an Approved Inspector no longer being able to carry out their building control function, is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.

We will aim to work with you to ensure works can be approved and appropriate certification issued as quickly as possible.

Submit a reversion application

To submit a reversion application please complete the application form:

Reversion application form (PDF)

In addition, if you have not done so already please complete the cancellation form (prescribed form 7)

Cancellation form (prescribed form 7) (PDF)