Do I need planning permission? - advice for householders

Some minor alterations and extensions can often be carried out without the need to apply for planning permission. This is known as 'permitted development'. Most single houses benefit from permitted development rights (PD).

Permitted Development rights do not apply to flats, maisonettes, mobile homes or residential caravans.

How do I find out if I need planning permission?

Guidance on the need for planning permission and building regulations for many common building works is available via the Planning Portal.

Check restrictions to Permitted Development

Check whether any of the following permitted development restrictions apply to your property:

Obtain confirmation from the Council - Lawful Development Certificate

If you are still not sure whether your building project needs planning permission you can submit a lawful development certificate for a proposed use or development. You will receive a formal decision as to whether your proposal is permitted development or an application for planning permission is required. Read more about Lawful Development Certificates on the Planning Portal.

The fee for Lawful Development Certificates for proposed householder developments is normally £103.

Larger single storey rear extensions

For a period of six years, between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2019, householders can build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development, provided their property is not within a conservation area. The size limits have doubled from 4 metres to 8 metres for detached houses, and from 3 metres to 6 metres for all other houses.

These changes are subject to a number of limitations and conditions, including requirements relating to the height of extensions and distances from boundaries.

If you wish to build a larger single storey extension you are required to notify the Council and provide details of what you are proposing to build, as the new size limits are subject to a neighbour consultation scheme. There is no fee for this process.

Listed Building Consent

If you wish to undertake internal or external alterations which affect the character of a listed building or extend or demolish part or all of a listed building you will require listed building consent.

Building Regulations

Remember, whether or not your building project requires planning permission you will still need to comply with Building Regulations.

Guidance on the need for building regulations can be found on the Do I need building regulations page or the Planning Portal.

Underline image