Information for landowners

Rights of Way

If you own land crossed by public rights of way, the Countryside and Rights of Way Team can help you with way-marking, signage, and maintenance of stiles and gates. Please contact the Rights of Way Team for more information.

Land owners may also take steps to prevent new public rights of way being created on their property by depositing a statement and plan of their land under Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980.

You can view the Register of Deposits made under this provision.

Further guidance for landowners on this process is available from the Rights of Way Team.

Landowner statements

From 1 October 2013 the law has been amended to enable a landowner to deposit a Landowner Statement accompanied by a map, which brings to an end any period of recreational use ‘as of right’ over the land to which the statement and map relate.

Further details and the prescribed forms are contained in Statutory Instrument 2013 No. 1774: The Commons (Registration of Town or Village Greens) and Dedicated Highways (Landowner Statements and Declarations) (England) Regulations 2013.

Landowner Statement Register

View the Landowner Statement Register.

Corrective applications

Applications received to correct the Common Land Register (Commons Registration Act 1965) are linked below:

Find out how to apply to correct the Common Land Register.


Details of current application fees may be found on the scale of charges page.

Contact the Countryside and Rights of Way Service