Statutory Register of Common Land and Village Greens

The Commons Registration Authority is responsible for maintaining the Register of Common Land and the Register of Village Greens.

This includes

  • updating the registers when ownership of common rights change, or where rights are apportioned (although the circumstances in which we can amend the registers are limited) 
  • amending the registers when we are notified by the Land Registry of changes in ownership of land 
  • amending the registers, as appropriate, in some instances to show changes in address 
  • registering "new" village greens 
  • dealing with requests for amendments received under Commons Act 2006 Section 15 and Landowner Representation - Commons Act 2006 Section 19

This register is a statutory document (Commons Registration Act 1965) and shows all such registered land in the area. Each area of common land and town or village green is listed in the registers under a unique 'unit number'. A 'CL' prefix defines the land as common. A 'VG' prefix defines the land as town or village green.

Each unit number in the register is divided in three sections showing details of:

  • Land -  This includes a description of the land, who registered it and when the registration became finally registered. There are also related plans which show the boundaries of the land. 
  • Rights - This includes a description of the rights of common (ie the right to graze 100 sheep), over which area of the common they are exercisable, the name of the person (the 'commoner') who holds those rights, and whether the rights arise by virtue of a separate land ownership by the commoner (ie they 'attach' to land). 
  • Ownership - This includes details of owners of common land. However, entries in this section of the registers are not held to be conclusive.

The registers are available for public inspection. You can to make an appointment to view the registers by emailing Copies from the registers can be provided on payment of a fee for the register entry and an additional charge for the base plan.

Contact us about Community Assets