Who can get a Disabled Facilities Grant?

You may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with adaptations to your home from Bradford Council, if you live in Bradford Metropolitan District and you have a permanent and substantial disability. You must also have significant difficulties managing everyday tasks at home.

You can also ask about a Disabled Facilities Grant to help you care for someone who lives in Bradford District.

A Disabled Facilities Grant can only be considered after your difficulties have been assessed by an Occupational Therapist. You should not carry out any work before your Disabled Facilities Grant is approved by the Adaptations Team, because a grant cannot be given for work that has already been carried out.

Normally adaptations will only be considered after looking at other options like rehabilitation or providing you with specialist equipment. Any adaptations costing less than £1000 are usually arranged by the Occupational Therapist.

There is no age limit for getting a Disabled Facilities Grant so you can also apply for a grant to pay for adaptations that are needed for a child or young person under the age of 18.