What to do if it floods

What should you do if your property is threatened with flooding?

  • Move people, pets and valuables to a safe place 
  • Attempt to move your personal property above ground flood level 
  • Alert your neighbours 
  • Help any neighbours who are elderly or infirm 
  • Keep up to date with Flood Warnings on local radio and the Environment Agency FLOODLINE 24 hour service 0345 9881188 
  • Sign up for flood warnings - www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings 
  • Set up an emergency pack: spare warm clothes, torches, spare batteries, battery powered radio, first aid kit, warm drink and food 
  • Block doorways and low-level airbricks with sandbags or plastic bags filled with sand/soil 
  • Switch off gas and electricity supplies if flooding is imminent 
  • Move your car to higher ground

Sandbag policy

There is no statutory requirement for a Local Authority to provide sandbags, nor to prevent a property from flooding; many Councils do not provide sandbags.

As a responsible Council we do however acknowledge that there are vulnerable people and communities which require assistance during a major flooding incident and will attempt to help where resources will allow.

Residents and business owners are responsible for protecting their own property and where they consider themselves to be in a high risk area they should make appropriate arrangement in advance of a flooding incident. The Council may offer assistance where it can, but this will be prioritised as shown below.

Whilst the Council does hold a stock of sandbags these are primarily for use to prevent flooding from rivers, major watercourses and keeping highways open, where resources are available we will attempt to help others. Requests will be prioritised as follows.

  1. Vulnerable individuals, the elderly and infirm
  2. Hospitals, Care Homes and Schools where there is a risk of internal flooding.
  3. Council buildings and critical infrastructure
  4. Residential properties
  5. Business and other non-residential properties (in extreme circumstances only)

It should be noted that:

  • Requests for sandbags will only be considered for residential premises which are occupied at the time and at imminent danger of internal flooding; sandbags will not be provided to protect gardens, garages and other non- residential properties.
  • Once sandbags have been delivered they will become the property of the property owner or occupier and they will be responsible for their appropriate disposal after use. The only exception to this will be to vulnerable people or communities.
  • Requests for sandbags will not be considered in anticipation of flooding, following advance weather forecasts or Environment Agency warnings.
  • All requests for sandbags will be dealt with solely at the Council’s discretion by the Duty Drainage Officer
  • Sandbags do not provide a total solution to the ingress of water, their prime use is to divert the flow of water. When purchasing sandbags there are 2 types which are commonly available; hessian sacks provide the best seal and are easier to place, but they do not last as long as more recent plastic types. Other proprietary products are available, but care should be taken when these are considered to ensure they have a British Standard Kite Mark for the intended use and are fitted in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

Flooded or blocked drains gullies

If you have a problem with a flooded or blocked gully, please report it to the Council online or call 01274 431000.

Pumping equipment

Bradford Council is unable to supply pumping equipment. You should contact the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service in an emergency: 999