Register a stillbirth

The death of a baby is a very upsetting time. Our registrars will deal with you sympathetically and professionally to make the registration process as smooth as possible.

A stillborn child is a baby born after the 24th week of pregnancy, who did not breathe or show any other signs of life after being born.

Making an appointment

Bradford Royal Infirmary or Airedale General Hospital staff may make an appointment for you to register the stillbirth. Or you can contact the Register Office on 01274 432151 for an appointment.

Where can I register?

You can register a stillbirth at The Register Office, City Hall in Bradford or at Keighley Town Hall.

Before registration

The medical certificate issued by the doctor or midwife will have been scanned directly to the registrars.

Who can register a stillbirth?

If the parents were married to or in a civil partnership with each other at the time of the stillbirth:

  • either the mother or the father or second female parent.

If the parents were not married to or in a civil partnership with each other at the time of the stillbirth:

  • the mother and father or second female parent together 
  • the mother.

If the information about the father or second female parent is not recorded at the time it may be possible to include their details later. Please ask the registrar.

Other people who may register stillbirths

Although the majority of stillbirths are registered by the parents, sometimes neither the mother nor the father or second female parent is able to do this. If this is the case please contact the registrar for advice on who else may register.

What information will I need to supply?

You will be asked to supply information such as:

  • date and place of stillbirth 
  • names of the child 
  • father or second female parent’s details and occupation 
  • mother’s details and occupation.

It is most important that the information recorded in the register is correct. If there is a mistake it could be difficult to put right after the register is signed and incur a fee.

What if I need an interpreter?

If you have difficulty communicating in English you must bring along a friend or relative to act as interpreter, but they cannot complete the register without you.

What certificates will I get?

The registrar will issue a free certificate of registration of the stillbirth.

The registrar will also issue a certificate for arranging the funeral which you need to give to the funeral director.

Contact us

Contact us about registering a stillbirth

Contact details

Bradford and Keighley Register Office
City Hall
Centenary Square

Phone : 01274 432151

Opening times
Please note: Still-birth registrations are by appointment only.

Monday to Friday: 9am to 4.30pm

Saturday: By appointment only