Changing a child's name

Changing the first name

If you decide to change your child’s first name(s) within 12 months of registering the birth you can ask to have the original birth registration changed.

There are two different procedures depending on whether the baby has been baptised into the Christian faith or not, but the registrar will explain what you need to do.

The registrar can add your child’s new name(s) to the original birth registration and you can buy certified copies of the amended registration.

If you leave it until more than 12 months after the birth registration you need to contact the registrar who will tell you how to apply for a correction. Or you may need to make a Change of Name Deed with a solicitor, but the registrar can advise on this.

Re-registering the birth

If the parents were not married to or in a civil partnership with each other when the baby was born, and you did not both attend to register the birth, you can add the father or second female parent’s details at a later date by re-registering the birth.

Also, if the parents have married or formed a civil partnership since the baby’s birth was registered you can apply for a new registration.

Please contact the Register Office on 01274 432151 and they will tell you how to do this.

Correcting a birth entry

If there is a mistake in your child’s birth entry which needs correcting, you should contact the registrar who will tell you which documents you need to bring along.

For further information or to discuss specific cases please telephone the Bradford Office or Keighley Office on 01274 432151.

Contact details

Bradford and Keighley Register Office
Bradford and Keighley Register Office
City Hall
Centenary Square

Phone : 01274 432151