Support for children and families, including education


School admissions

Bradford Council’s school admissions site contains its admission policy, guides on how to apply for school places and the appeals process. More information is available on Bradford Council’s Apply for a place at school page.

Telephone: 01274 439200, Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm

In-year applications

If you are moving to Bradford during term time, you will need to apply for a school using the In-Year Application form. You can find the form and further details on the In-year applications page.

Service Pupil Premium (SPP)

If you or your partner are currently serving as a Regular in the Forces and your child is between Reception and Year 11, your child’s school can claim £310 per year Service Pupil Premium.

Funding is provided by the Department for Education and paid directly to the school to help support the impact service life can have on a child’s education.

If you are a parent of Service child, please do let your school know so they can apply for the funding.

Further information on the Service Pupil Premium and current eligibility criteria is available on the website. You can also find further information within the West Yorkshire Service Pupil Premium Resource Directory.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Local Offer

The Bradford SEND Local Offer is a free and impartial service provided by Bradford Council. The information contained within the website is available for the purposes of identifying services and provision that are available to children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities. More information is available on Bradford Council’s Local Offer website.

Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS)

The CEAS provides advice, support and guidance regarding the educational well-being of the children and young people belonging to families in all three Military services. More information is available on the CEAS website.

Military education charities

Armed Forces Education Trust

The Armed Forces Education Trust is a charity supporting children and young adults whose education has been compromised as a result of parents’ past or current service in our Armed Forces. More information is available on the Armed Forces Education Trust website.

Little Troopers

Little Troopers is a charity that provides resources to schools and families about the needs of Service children within education. If you are a parent of a Service child, you can find advice about how to support service children in education. They have a range of resources on their website, including free items to print at home and items that are for sale.


Early education and childcare

The childcare and early education webpage provides information and advice around childcare. There is also a facility to search for childcare within your local area.

Early education for two, three and four year olds

Working parents and carers with children under the age of four can check with HMRC whether they are eligible to claim free early education.

Apply online through or by phone on 0300 123 4097.

Family support

No matter where you live in Bradford, support for your family’s needs is available, whether you want to access a parenting group, local activities and playgroups or short breaks for disabled children and young people. More information about support that is available, as well as contact details for the Family Hubs in each area of the District, is available on the Family Hubs website.

Families Federations

The Forces Families Federations can offer information, advice and support on a range of topics including:

  • Housing
  • Education
  • Employment and money
  • Relationships and wellbeing
  • Healthcare
  • Overseas deployment

Each branch of the Military has its own Families Federation:

Forces Children and Families Charities

There are a large number of charities that can offer support to Forces Families, some of those offering specific support to Forces children are outlined below.

Forces Children’s Trust

The Forces Children’s Trust (FCT) offer support and assistance to children and young people whose parents have died or been seriously injured through service. The FCT also signposts to other relevant charities who may be able to provide support.


Reading Force

Through Reading Forces, families who are separated through service can read a book together and make memories of their favourite parts, ensuring that families stay connected and children continue to learn.


Scotty’s Little Soldiers

Scotty’s Little Soldiers, offer support to children and young people who have lost a parent due to service in the Armed Forces. This support can include counselling, fun activities, as well as educational and employment support.