Self-build and custom house building register questions and answers

What is the eligibility criteria for the Register?

To be eligible to be entered onto the register, individuals must submit their contacts details and confirm that they are:

  • Aged 18 or over
  • A British citizen, a national EEA state other than the United Kingdom or a national of Switzerland
  • Seeking (alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land within the Bradford District to build a house to occupy as that individuals sole or main residence

What should I do if I am part of a group or association interested in a self or custom build?

Groups or associations must ensure that the following information is submitted:

  • the name and address of the association
  • the name and address of the lead contact (if different from the association)
  • the name and address of each member of the group or association

How the Council will use the information from the Register?

The Council will not publish any personal details of individuals who have submitted an application to be been placed on the register. The Council will only publish:

  • the number of individuals and groups on the register
  • the number of serviced plots sought across the Bradford Council area
  • a summary of the general preferences which people have indicated (location and property type)

Individuals may apply to amend their entry on the register at any time.

How does the planning process work for self-build housing?

Self and custom build homes are subject to the same requirement for planning permission as other homes. Please take a look at our Planning application forms, guidance notes and validation criteria on the Planning section of this website.

We encourage self-builders to have an agent familiar with the planning process as it can be quite complicated and involve various technical requirements, even for small-scale projects. Details of agents can be found on the Royal Town Planning Institute website or the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors website.

Do I have to pay Community Infrastructure Levy on self-build developments?

Self-build projects are exempt from the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL). A self-build exemption form must be completed and submitted with supporting evidence before your project starts, along with notifying Bradford Council’s Planning Service, and a further form submitted within six months of completing the project. If the evidence is not submitted to Bradford Council within six months, the full CIL charge becomes payable.

How can I find out more about self-build and custom build housing?

The National Custom and Self Build Association (NaCSBA) have produced the Custom and Self Build Toolkit, which provides a comprehensive overview of this type of housing along with a number of case studies from across the world. Links to the toolkit along with other useful websites are listed below:

Contact details

Local Plan Team
4th Floor Britannia House

Phone : 01274 433679
Email :