Minimum energy efficiency standards

In April 2018 the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards came into force which means that generally a property cannot be let where the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating is lower than E (although there are some exemptions). An EPC of E is the minimum acceptable standard and a rating of F and G is below standard.

Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Normally any property that has been marketed for sale or letting should have an Energy Performance Certificate. By law, landlords are required to provide their tenants with a copy of this. The EPC explains the energy efficiency of the property and typical energy costs as well as making suggestions of ways to reduce the amount of electricity and/or gas used. 

If you do not know whether there is an EPC for your property or can’t find it, you should be able to find a copy of the certificate if there is one, by checking the EPC Register. You can also find details of government approved Domestic Energy Assessors.

What do landlords need to do

If you are letting a property you should make sure that there is an Energy Performance Certificate for the property and give a copy of this the tenant of the property.

If you currently let a property which has a rating below E (F or G) you must either:

The law has set a maximum amount that a landlord is required to spend on improving the EPC rating which is £3,500.

More information

You can find a lot more information about the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard and rules around EPC on the website.