What is Council Tax?

Behind on your Council Tax payments? You may get a call, text or email from us
These messages will allow you to pay your Council Tax to bring your account up to date, or to speak to an advisor for help with your bill. More information about messages from the Council Tax team

On this page:

What is Council Tax?

Council Tax is a tax on domestic property collected by your local council. It helps to pay for council services, such as:

  • highway maintenance¬†
  • child protection¬†
  • social care¬†
  • street cleaning
  • refuse collection

Included in your bill are amounts we collect on behalf of other organisations:

  • West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue
  • West Yorkshire Police
  • West Yorkshire Combined Authority
  • The Environment Agency
  • Parish and Town Councils, depending on where you live

For the 2024-2025 financial year, Council Tax for Bradford Council includes a 2.99% rise to support council services as a whole as well as a 2% precept to support Adult Social Care.

Who pays Council Tax / who is liable for Council Tax?

Usually, owner occupiers or tenants are responsible for paying the Council Tax bill. You can find more information about who might be liable to pay Council Tax here.

How much is Council Tax (bands and amounts)?

Bradford Council charges eight different amounts of Council Tax. These amounts are called 'Council Tax Bands'.

If you live in an area that has a Parish or Town Council you pay an extra amount towards the running costs, this is included in your bill.

Visit our Council Tax bands and amounts page for more information.

When do I have to pay my Council Tax?

Council Tax bills are sent out annually, and people can chose to pay them yearly in one lump sum or in 10 or 12 instalments over the year.

You can find out more information about how to pay your Council Tax bill here.

Can I get my Council Tax bill reduced?

There are a number of ways that your bill may be reduced. To find out if you might qualify, have a look at our Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions page.