What if a benefit payment goes missing?

Missing BACS payments

BACS payments are the most secure method of payment. We will issue payment on a regular day but the number of days it takes a payment to clear will depend on your bank.

Payments will be later on bank holidays.

If you think that a payment is missing:

  1. Check with your bank first - the payment might be pending that is the bank have received the payment but the funds have not yet cleared. 
  2. Contact us we will check we have your correct bank details and that the payment has been issued. 
  3. If the payment has been issued you need to allow a further 2 to 3 days for the payment to clear

If after 2 to 3 days you have still not received your payment you will need to give us a signed statement to confirm:

  • your bank's address and the person you have been speaking to about the missing payment. 
  • that you are happy to discuss this issue with your bank

When we have received your statement:

  • we will contact your bank to try and trace the missing payment 
  • we will also check the payment has not been returned 
  • when we have traced the missing payment we will replace it - this can take up to ten days 
  • we will write to you to confirm what we have done

Missing cheques

Cheque payments can be delayed because of the post. They can also be delayed further at bank holiday times

Please allow up to three days after the day you normally receive it before reporting it missing.

If a cheque has been lost, destroyed or stolen please contact us straight away.

Report a missing cheque

Telephone us to tell us your cheque is more than 2 to 3 days late or has been lost, destroyed or stolen so we can cancel the cheque.

Please note once we have a cancelled a cheque you will not be able to cash it should you then find it.

To have a cheque replaced

  • Send us a signed statement confirming the date and amount of the missing payment and your benefits reference number or 
  • Go to Housing Benefit Office to make a statement with an advisor (you can make an appointment to do this) 
  • If we can 'stop' the cheque we will replace it when we have your written statement

We will write to you to confirm if the missing cheque can be replaced or if we find that it has already been cashed.

Contact details

Bradford Council
Visit us (call us first to make an appointment)

Call us : 01274 432772
Email : benefits@bradford.gov.uk

Write to us at:

Housing Benefits and Reductions
PO Box 1251