Residents Permits for Household Waste Recycling Centres

If you want to use your vehicle to take your waste to one of the Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres you need a residents permit.

Why do we need a permit?

The Council monitors the use of Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) and identified that residents from other areas have been using Bradford’s facilities.

In order to manage the cost of operating the facilities and the cost of waste disposal, the Council put measures in place to ensure that they are only used by the residents of Bradford district who fund them. Residents permits are issued to people who pay their Council Tax to Bradford Council allowing them access to any of Bradford Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Every household needs a permit. Only one will be issued per household. This permit can be used by anyone in the household. So, if you have more than one vehicle, please ensure you take the permit with you when visiting the Household Waste Recycling Centre.

Frequently asked questions

How do I get a permit?

In March 2017 all residents received a free permit with their Council Tax bill. If you have moved into the Bradford District since then and do not have a permit you can apply for one by calling 01274 431000. Your request will be checked and a permit will be sent to you by post.

Is there a cost?

No. The permit is free.

What do I do with the permit?

You must display the permit in your vehicle whenever you want to use a HWRC. Photocopies will not be accepted.

What if there is more than one vehicle at my household who use the HWRC?

You can transfer the permit from one vehicle to another as long as it is on display in the vehicle when you visit the HWRC.

Can I use other HWRCs?

Yes. Once you have a permit you can use any HWRC in the Bradford district.

What if I lose my permit?

If you lose your permit you can apply for one by calling 01274 431000. Your request will be checked and a permit will be sent to you by post.

What if I move house?

You can take your permit with you to your new home as long as it is still in the Bradford district.

Will I have to apply each year?

No, there is no time limit on your permit.

Will I get turned away from a HWRC if I do not have a permit?

The permit system is being enforced and you will be asked for your permit.

I drive a van – do we need a permit?

Yes – but you need a van permit to use the HWRC, not a resident’s permit. However, if someone from your household uses a car to take waste to the HWRC you will need a residents permit for the car and a van permit for the van. You can apply for a van permit at Bowling Back Lane Household Waste Recycling Centre or Keighley Transfer Station.

More information is available at the Household Waste Recycling Centre Van Permits page

Do I need a permit if I do not drive and a relative takes my waste to a HWRC for me?

If relatives/friends are clearing out properties or are just taking waste to the local HWRC because someone is either disabled, deceased, gone into care, or elderly and:

  • They are using a van: they would need to apply for a van permit 
  • Using a car and live outside the district: they can use your permit 
  • Using a car and live in the district: they could use their own permit or use yours

I have a holiday home in the district - do I need a permit?

Yes. All households will have received a permit in with their Council Tax bill in 2017.

Is there an agreement with Leeds Council that allows residents of Menston to use Ellar Ghyll HWRC?

There is no formal agreement in place, however there is an understanding with Leeds that Bradford residents (mainly Wharfedale Ward - Menston and Burley) can use the Leeds HWRC site at Ellar Ghyll. All residents should display their permit so that anyone from Bradford using Ellar Ghyll can be readily identified to the Leeds CC staff.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for email updates about waste and recycling

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now