Gypsum based products cannot be accepted through
- general waste skips and /or rubble skips at household waste recycling centres
- bulk household waste collections (no building waste is accepted in bulk waste)
Gypsum based waste must be collected and disposed of separately.
What are gypsum based products?
- Plaster – plaster generally comes in two main types: gypsum based and cement based. Gypsum based is used indoors and cement based is used outdoors. Only gypsum based plaster is included in this advice.
- Plasterboard – Plasterboard is a flat seam of gypsum, sandwiched between stiff lining paper, commonly grey or ivory in colour and is often found in timber-framed buildings, loft conversions, stud-partitions and ceilings.
How can I dispose of gypsum-based products?
You can dispose of gypsum-based products at the following household waste recycling centres for which special containers have been provided. Please ask the site attendants if you cannot find the container on the site you are using.
- Bradford HWRC, Bowling Back Lane, Bradford, BD4 8SZ
- Dowley Gap HWRC, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1TP
- Ford Hill HWRC, Hill End Lane, Queensbury, BD13 7NQ
- Golden Butts HWRC, Golden Butts Road, Ilkley, LS29 8HS
- Keighley HWRC, Royd Ings Way, Keighley, BD21 4BZ
- Midland Road HWRC, Midland Road, Bradford, BD8 7DQ
- Sugden End HWRC, Halifax Road, Crossroads, BD22 9DQ
- Dealburn Road HWRC, Dealburn Road, Low Moor, BD21 0RG
For the household waste recycling centres to accept your plasterboard, it should be free from:
You may be refused disposal if a site operative deems your waste to be contaminated and unacceptable.