The Yorkshire Archaeological Society was founded in 1863 (as the Huddersfield Archaeological and Topographical Association) to promote interest in the history and archaeology of the Huddersfield area. In 1870 it expanded its interest to cover the whole of Yorkshire, and today it is the main society in this field for the historic county. Throughout its history the Society has been active in publishing articles on many aspects of Yorkshire’s past and transcripts of important Yorkshire records. The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal was first published in 1869, and the Record Series in 1884. The Society also encourages interest in Yorkshire’s past and promotes the study of its history through events, lectures and outings.
The Yorkshire Archaeological Journal is the Society's annual publication, published since 1869. It includes articles on a wide variety of archaeological and other historical topics relating to the historic county of Yorkshire.
The printed journals can be viewed in Keighley Local Studies Library and at Bradford Local Studies Library.