How to get help if you are homeless

The Housing Options Service provides housing information and advice on a range of housing issues that could include:

  • homelessness
  • rent arrears
  • domestic violence
  • landlord/tenant disputes
  • loss of employment
  • anti-social behaviour/harassment welfare benefits

Homelessness means not having a home. Even if you have a roof over your head you can still be homeless. This might be because you do not have the right to stay where you live or because the house you live in is not suitable for you.

The Housing Options Service will work with anyone who is either homeless or threatened with homelessness to try and enable them to stay in their homes or to help them find alternative accommodation. This may include:

  • mediation in landlord and tenant disputes
  • advice and information
  • assistance with housing benefit queries and forms
  • referrals to other agencies for support, mediation and temporary accommodation

If we can't prevent you becoming homeless, we can refer you to our Homelessness Case Worker, who will assess your needs.

Homeless Application

An appointment will be made for you to see the Homelessness Case Worker. This will be a same day appointment if you have nowhere to go that day. A homeless application form will be completed and all of your options will be discussed.

We will assess your housing needs and establish the following:

Are you eligible for assistance?

Some groups of people who have lived abroad are not entitled to help if they are homeless. We will check if you are subject to immigration control.

Are you homeless or threatened with homelessness?

We must check whether you are legally classed as homeless before we can decide what help you are entitled to. In deciding whether you are homeless, the Council has to look at any accommodation you may have access to.

Are you in priority need?

You will be in priority need if one of the people included in your application falls into one of the priority need groups:

  • Pregnant women
  • People responsible for dependent children
  • Most people aged 16 or 17 who are care leavers
  • People who are particularly vulnerable
  • People who are made homeless by fire or flood

If you are homeless and in priority need the Council may have a duty to provide you with temporary accommodation.

Are you intentionally homeless?

We have to make enquiries into the reasons you became homeless and must establish whether:

  • you deliberately did (or didn't do) something that caused you to leave accommodation which you could otherwise have stayed in
  • it would have been reasonable for you to stay there.

This may include:

  • not paying your rent or mortgage when you could have afforded to
  • you were evicted for antisocial behaviour
  • you left accommodation you could have stayed in

Once a full assessment has been carried out you will be notified in writing of the outcome and informed of what duty is owed to you.

The decision letter will say:

  • what decision the Council has made
  • what duties are owed to you
  • the reasons why the decision was made and
  • that you have a right to request a review of a decision and how you can do so

For further information or if you need help because you might become homeless, contact The Housing Options Service speak to a Housing Options Advisor.


Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for emails about housing and homes

Contact details

Housing Options Service
Britannia House
Hall Ings

(use the entrance on the corner of Bridge Street and Broadway)

Keighley Town Hall
Bow Street
BD21 3PB

Telephone : 01274 435999
If you are homeless and have nowhere to sleep, outside of office hours please phone : 01274 381999
Email :

Other pages in this section

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.


Council Switchboard : 01274 432111

Council Address : Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford BD1 1HX

© 2017 City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council