Animal Health

Avian Flu threat

Avian Influenza (or ‘bird flu’ as it is also known) is currently posing a serious threat to the health of domestic bird flocks in the UK.

Following a recent press release from DEFRA, please visit the Government website for guidance on how to prepare and take simple measures to help protect against the threat of Avian Influenza.  

As a bird keeper, it is your responsibility to keep up to date with the latest situation and guidance.

If you have any questions or need clarification on what you need to do,  please contact Animal Health on 01274 434629.

Additional requirements for keepers of chickens and turkeys can be found (PDF, 280 Kb).

Additional requirements for keepers of ducks, geese and game birds can be found here (PDF, 308 Kb).

What is the role of the Animal Health and Welfare Section?

To ensure that the health and welfare of farmed livestock is protected and complies with animal health and welfare legislation.

What are the duties of the Animal Health and Welfare Inspector?

To ensure that all livestock is correctly identified and is moved with the required movement documents or cattle passports, in accordance with current legislation.

There must be full traceability of livestock movements to assist in controlling the potential spread of diseases such as Foot and Mouth. This is done by checking records at farms, slaughterhouses and during transportation.

The inspector also ensures that carcases and animal waste from slaughterhouses are transported and disposed of appropriately and in compliance with the current legislation.

Where do I get information on keeping livestock or poultry?

The Animal Health Section provides advice and assistance to farmers and traders on animal health and welfare legislation.

The Animal and Plant Health Agency website offers further information on animal health and welfare guidance.

You can contact the Animal Health and Welfare Inspector by:
Telephone: 01274 434629

What do I need to do if I intend to keep livestock?

If you intend to keep livestock it is important that you:

  • Register before obtaining the animals (specifically cattle, pigs, sheep and goats)
  • Obtain a holding number from the Rural Payments Agency. Telephone: 03000 200 301
  • Register with your local APHA Office. Who will issue you a herd or flock number. Telephone: 03000 200 301
  • Adhere to the rules about the movements of livestock, in addition to keeping on farm movement records
  • Safeguard the health and welfare of your animals on farm, in transit, at livestock markets and at slaughter
  • Comply with animal medicine regulations when medicines are administered to your livestock. Ensure you keep appropriate records
  • Safeguard the health of your staff and protect the public from disease
  • Protect the environment from any waste originating from your livestock business, including animal by-products
  • Dispose of fallen stock in accordance with the current legislation

I want to move livestock. What must I do?

To be able to move your livestock, you must obtain a licence to move them and you must keep records of such movements in a herd or flock book. You can download one from the Animal and Plant Health Agency website.

Different licences must be obtained dependant upon the animals to be moved. Licences are available for:

  • Movement of sheep and goats onto and off your holding 
  • Movement of pigs onto and off your holding 
  • Taking a pet pig for a walk outside your boundary 
  • Cattle movements are different as their movements are recorded through a passport system which is administered by the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS). Cattle keepers should be registered with BCMS.

For more information on BCMS or to register online visit the British Cattle Movement Service website. You can also telephone 0845 050 1234

I think a farm animal is being treated cruelly. What can I do?

If you suspect that farm animals are being caused unnecessary suffering, you should report it immediately:
Telephone: 03000 200 301

For more information on farm and animal welfare please visit the Animal and Plant Health Agency website.

Are there any current notifiable diseases which affect livestock that I should be aware of?

There have been cases of Avian Flu in England and owners of Poultry, including chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, pigeon (bred for meat), partridge, quail, guinea fowl and pheasants, should visit the Government website for more information.

If you suspect that a disease is present in any farm animal you should contact AHVLA, using the contact details above.

For further information on the current Animal disease situation, animal movement licensing, legislation and a full list of notifiable diseases, please visit the Animal and Plant Health Agency website.

What must I do with fallen stock?

All dead livestock (not wild animals) must be disposed of appropriately.

Dead livestock can be dealt with by private arrangement using an authorised carrier or under the national fallen stock scheme.

Further information can be obtained from National Fallen Stock Scheme or from

Does the Animal Health Section deal with the welfare of domestic pets?

No. If you have any concerns about the welfare of any domestic animals such as cats and dogs, then you should report your concerns to the RSPCA Telephone: 0300 1234 999

What do I do if I have concerns for the welfare of a horse?

If the horse is on council land, then you should contact the council to report it.

Telephone: 01274 431000

If you have concerns about the welfare of other horses contact the RSPCA Telephone: 0300 1234 999

Animal by-product spillages on highways

Bradford Council’s animal health officer works to ensure that animal by-products are transported in leak-proof containers and can take action against companies who do not do this.

If you witness an animal by-product spillage from a vehicle on the highway please report this on 01274 434629 or 01274 431000 outside of normal office hours.

We require the registration number of the vehicle and any other distinguishing marks, the exact location of the spillage, the date and time of the incident including a brief description of the spillage.

If possible, take photographs of the spillage and the vehicle.