Tell us that a Council Tax payer has died

There are many things to arrange when a loved one dies. We understand this can be a difficult time and it often takes a while to organise everything.

For Council Tax purposes the earlier you contact us after someone dies the sooner we can cancel or amend the Council Tax due.

What to do when someone dies

There are certain things you need to tell us when a Council Tax payer dies, both about the person who has died and the property they occupied. You can provide this information by either filling in our form now, or calling us on 01274 437866.

What happens to any outstanding bills when a Council Tax payer dies?

If there is another person living in the property who is over 18, they could become responsible for paying the Council Tax from the date of the death. If they live in the property alone or are the only occupier over 18 they could qualify for a single person discount.

Where a property is left unoccupied after the death of the owner/tenant then the Estate may be eligible for an exemption provided that no living person or entity can be considered to be the owner of the property other than in their capacity as Executor.

For further information have a look at exemptions class F on our property discounts page.

If you are the executor or administrator of a deceased person's estate, you must tell us when any of the following happens:

  • probate is granted or you get the letters of administration for the deceased person's estate
  • someone moves into the deceased person's property
  • the tenancy is ended and the property is returned to the landlord
  • when the furniture is removed (if applicable)
  • the property is sold
  • someone inherits the property
  • addresses of any other properties in the Bradford area that the deceased owns

What to do if you have received a credit bill for a deceased relative

You need to complete the form issued with the credit bill and return it to the Council Tax team. The refund cheque will then be made payable to the exors of the deceased. If you wish for the refund to be issued in the name of the executor, you need to complete our online refund form or write to us.

What to do if you have received a cheque for a relative's overpaid Council Tax, but cannot pay it in because the cheque is to the "Exors of" and the bank account has been closed.

Before we can issue another cheque you will need to return the original cheque with a covering letter advising of who you would like the cheque making out to.