The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduces some changes to the benefit caps
What is a benefit cap?
A benefit cap sets a maximum amount of benefit a household can receive each year.
What will the new benefit caps be?
- £20,000 - for couples (with or without children) and lone parents
- £13,400 - for single people without children
You may be exempt from these caps on your benefit if you also get one of the following:
- Guardian’s Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance
- Universal Credit AND you also get payments towards carer’s costs.
When will these changes take affect?
The benefit caps will change in Autumn 2016.
How will I know if I'm going to be affected?
If you will be affected by these new benefit caps, the DWP will write to you to let you know.
Are there any organisations that could help me or give me advice?
If you need to talk to someone about the Benefit Cap, debt or other advice, you can contact:
- Bradford CAN offers free, confidential, and impartial advice. Call 03442 451282 or visit: www.bradfordcan.org.uk
- Bradford Citizens Advice Bureau has a newly launched Debt Advice Line call 01274 758047 or visit: www.citizensadvice.org.uk
- Job Centre Plus - you could visit your work coach who will help you to find employment.
If you rent from a social landlord or housing association they may be able to help you:
- Incommunities is the biggest social housing provider in the district and you can contact them via their Income Team. Call 01274 254777 or visit: www.incommunities.co.uk
- Manningham Housing is a specialist housing association specialising in larger homes for people in need and those from Black and Minority Ethnic backgrounds visit: www.mhahomeoptions.co.uk or call 01274 771144.
- Horton Housing Association provides a wide range of services, from support for people wanting to stay in their present accommodation to specialist accommodation for people who are homeless. Call 01274 370689 or visit: www.hortonhousing.co.uk.
Where can I find out more information?
For more information about the benefit cap changes please visit the Gov.uk website.