Benefit cap changes

The Welfare Reform and Work Act (2016) introduced some changes to the benefit cap in November 2016.

What is a benefit cap?

A benefit cap sets a maximum amount of benefit a working age household can receive each year.

What amount are the benefit caps?

  • £20,000 - for couples (with or without children) and lone parents
  • £13,400 - for single people without children

You are not affected by the cap if anyone in your household qualifies for Working Tax Credits, or gets one of a number of other benefits. These include:

  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

To check the full list, visit the website.

Are there any organisations that could help me or give me advice?

If you need to talk to someone about the benefit cap, debt or other advice, you can contact:

If you rent from a social landlord or housing association they may be able to help you:

  • Incommunities is the biggest social housing provider in the district and you can contact them via their Income Team. Call 01274 254777 or visit
  • Manningham Housing is a specialist housing association specialising in larger homes for people in need and those from Black and Minority Ethnic backgrounds. Visit or call 01274 771144.
  • Horton Housing Association provides a wide range of services, from support for people wanting to stay in their present accommodation to specialist accommodation for people who are homeless. Call 01274 370689 or visit:

Where can I find out more information?

For more information about the benefit cap changes please visit the website.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for email updates about benefits

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now