Working aged people can no long claim Alternative Maximum Assistance

Alternative Maximum Assistance

What is Alternative Maximum Assistance?

This is a Council Tax reduction for people of pension age who have at least one other person living with them who is/are on a low income. It was previously known as Second Adult Rebate.

Who can claim

You can make a claim if you are a pensioner and share your home with a person/persons who are over 18 years of age and are:

  • not your spouse or partner 
  • not paying rent to you 
  • not liable to pay Council Tax 
  • receiving a low income

Your own income and capital are not taken into account in calculating any entitlement to Alternative Maximum Assistance. For example, if you pay Council Tax but do not qualify for Council Tax Reduction because of your own income, but your daughter who is claiming Income Support lives with you, you may claim Alternative Maximum Assistance in respect of her.

You can use our online benefits calculator to estimate how much benefit you may qualify for.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for email updates about benefits

Contact details

Bradford Council
Visit us (call us first to make an appointment)

Call us : 01274 432772
Text message (SMS) : 07786 208 100
Email :

Write to us at:

Housing Benefits and Reductions
PO Box 1251

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now