Abandoned and nuisance vehicles

What is an abandoned vehicle?

A vehicle is only abandoned 'where it appears to a local authority that a motor vehicle is abandoned without lawful authority…' (Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978). This means that a vehicle is deemed abandoned when an authorised officer at the Council decides that it is abandoned, usually after investigation.

The following characteristics are generally common to abandoned vehicles and will be taken into consideration when deciding that a vehicle is abandoned:

  • untaxed (this should not be the only factor) 
  • flat tyres 
  • broken windows 
  • stationary for some time 
  • has no current registered keeper 
  • contains waste 
  • missing number plates 
  • burnt out 
  • significantly damaged, run down or not roadworthy.

Many vehicles that are reported do not fulfil enough of these criteria and the authorised officer cannot deem it abandoned. However, if the vehicle is causing a problem, it could be classified as a nuisance vehicle.

What is a nuisance vehicle?

A nuisance vehicle is not an abandoned vehicle and could be, for instance:

  • causing an obstruction 
  • broken down

In those instances, we will make every effort to find the owner and discuss any problems that their vehicle is causing.

There’s no legal definition of a nuisance vehicle, our officers use their own judgement to decide whether a vehicle is problematic based on the information we have been provided and site inspections.

Report a vehicle

The Council will remove  vehicles from the highway and from Council-owned land.

You can report a vehicle using the link below which takes you to our My Requests system. You will need to register to do this if you have not used My Requests before.

We recommend using My Requests with a different web browser than Internet Explorer, such as Chrome or Safari.

Report a vehicle now

If you wish to report a vehicle you will need to have the following information:

  • registration number 
  • type of vehicle 
  • make and model 
  • colour 
  • condition of vehicle 
  • Dose it have valid tax https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax
  • exact location 
  • how long the vehicle has been there 
  • has the car shown any signs of being used in this period? 
  • does the vehicle contain any types of waste material?

How we deal with abandoned and nuisance vehicles

The Council has the power to:

  • Issue FPNs (Fixed Penalty Notices)
  • Clamp vehicles
  • Remove vehicles without warning

What we take into consideration.

  • Is it taxed
  • Does it have an MOT
  • Is it damaged to a point its un-roadworthy
  • Has it been burnt out
  • Has it been stationary for a long time
  • Does it have or has it been issued multiple PCN’s (Penalty Charge Notices)
  • Is it not displaying trader plates correctly
  • Is it SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)
  • Is it insured
  • Is it missing number plates
  • Does it contain rubbish
  • Is it been repaired on the road (exemptions apply)
  • Do the registration plates relate to a different vehicle
  • Is it parked on the highway with trader’s plates been displayed

The Council can investigate and take action against nuisance vehicles under the following acts:

  • Section 3 of the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978.
  • Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005.
  • Vehicle Excise Duty (immobilisation, Removal and Disposal of vehicles) Regulations 1997

Charges and release fees

Community Protection Warning (CPW) and Community Protection Notice (CPN) - Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) £100, if accepted and paid the fixed penalty is a way of discharging liability for the offence and no prosecution will be taken. Should the fixed penalty not be accepted or paid then the offender will be prosecuted for the offence which carries a penalty of up to £20,000.00 plus costs.

Clamping and removal of untaxed vehicles - a release fee of £100 is paid within the first 24 hours, rising to £200 after 24 hours where a vehicle has been removed to our pound a £21 per day storage charges applies in both instances a surety fee (where applies) of £160 will also be payable (vehicles will incur charges over weekends, Bank or Public holidays).

For all other vehicle removals you can view the Statutory Charges applied in respect of removal, storage and disposal of vehicles as well as these charges any unpaid Penalty Charge Notices will need to be paid in order to release your vehicle.

Vehicles must be removed within one day of payment been made if the vehicle is not removed either statutory or private storage charges (£36 per day) will apply.

No reduction in release or storage charges will be given.

What happens if I don’t want my vehicle anymore

Rather than abandoning your vehicle we will collect your vehicle free of charge providing that you can provide us with proof of ownership, you have the key(s) and you sign a vehicle disclaimer. We will dispose of the vehicle legally and notify the DVLA of the vehicle’s disposal. If your vehicle has been clamped or removed and you do not want to recover this, any outstanding PCN’s may still need to be paid and you may need to pay a £96 admin fee.

Disposal and sale of vehicles

Vehicles will be stored for a minimum of 28 days prior to requesting any disposal or sale, with the exception of:

  • Untaxed vehicles
    • £999 and under - will be stored for a minimum of 7 days.
    • £1000 and over - will be stored for a minimum of 14 days.
  • Abandoned vehicles
    • If the vehicle is deemed to be of limited value, it will be destroyed immediately without notice.
    • If the vehicle has a value, it will be stored for 7 days.
    • If a vehicle is signed over to the Council, we will dispose of at the earliest opportunity.

Vehicles are valued by online valuations then we take the condition and if we have the keys or not into account.

What do I need to release my vehicle

Vehicle collection from the Bradford Vehicle Pound is by appointment only, to make an appointment you can contact us on 07484 028864, lines will be open 8.30am till 4pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am till 3.30pm on a Friday (please note that the lines will closed on weekends and Bank or Public Holidays).

Prior to any vehicle been released from the pound or a clamp been removed, we need to see proof that you are the owner or acting on the owners behalf. You must show us:

  • Logbook (V5), showing date of purchase or valid hire or lease agreement.
  • Insurance certificate.
  • Sales receipt.

We will require two forms of address confirmation:

  • Council tax bill
  • Utility bill (dated within the last three months)
  • Tenancy agreement (Please note: Bills or statements must be no more than three months old online proofs will be accepted)

We will require one form of Photographic Identification

  • Passport
  • Driving Licence

Payments – we can not accept cash, payments can only be made by

  • BACS

You will be asked to complete a V62 form if your vehicle is not registered, this a requirement by the DVLA.

If officers are not satisfied you are the owner of the vehicle or your collection agent does not have the correct documents, the vehicle will not be released, and further release fees may apply.

Vehicle pound appointments times

Monday to Thursday: 7.30am to 3.30pm
Friday: 7.30am to 1.30pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Bank holidays: Closed

The pound address is:
Site 441
Dealburn Road
Low Moor
BD12 0RG

The pound is covered by multiple CCTV cameras which record all the time for everyone’s safety.

Damage to vehicles and complaints

Every effort is taken to remove vehicles in the safest possible way to our pound. Officers will take multiple pictures of vehicles prior to them been removed and a vehicle condition report will be completed. Whilst the vehicle is impounded the Council takes no responsibility for its safety.

If you would like to log a complaint about the vehicle recovery process, please email:  vehicles@bradford.gov.uk in the first instance with your complaint, we will respond to your email within 20 working days.

If you are not satisfied with the response, you can view information on how to Make a complaint about Bradford Council and contact the complaints team.

Please note if you leave your vehicle in the pound while making a complaint charges will still apply.