Definitive map applications

Definitive Map Modification Orders

Bradford Council is responsible for maintaining the legal record of public rights of way, which include public footpaths, bridleways and byways. This record is called the Definitive Map and Statement of Public Rights of Way. Changes are made to this when evidence is discovered that shows certain routes are not recorded correctly. These changes are made using a legal procedure called a Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO).

Anyone may apply to the Council for a Definitive Map Modification Order to add a right of way to, or delete a right of way from, the Definitive Map and Statement, or change the status of one that is already shown. Any application must be supported by supporting evidence. There are regulations about the format of an application. The majority of applications are to add rights of way, the presumption being that they exist but have not previously been recorded.

For more information about applying for a DMMO please contact the Rights of Way Section.

Register of applications received to modify Definitive Maps

Prepared under the Public Rights of Way (Register of Applications under section 53(5) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981) (England) Regulations 2005

One of the duties of the Council, under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, is to provide a register of DMMO applications, known as the Section 53B Register. The register is intended to help increase knowledge among landowners, users of rights of way, and the general public about DMMO applications that may affect the rights of way network. It also helps avoid the duplication of work where someone has already made an application for a DMMO in respect of a particular matter.

Register of applications received to modify Definitive Maps

This Register contains details of Definitive Map Modification Order Applications received by the Council.

The Register can be searched by:

  • Postcode area, for example BD12
  • Keywords, for example a place name, or a word in the application titleĀ 
  • Year of application

In addition, columns with an arrow in the heading can be used to sort the applications by Application Date, Postcode, Locality and Ward.

Clicking on 'View' in any record will give access to further related documents.

If you have any other queries regarding the register or the Definitive Map please contact the Rights of Way Section.