Notice of marriage or civil partnership formation

Each party to the marriage or civil partnership must give their own notice in person to the Superintendent Registrar in the district in which they live.

Before you can get married or register your civil partnership formation you and your partner must give notice by appointment.

A notice of marriage or civil partnership formation is where you sign a legal statement at your local register office to say you intend to get married or form a civil partnership.

If your ceremony is to be held in the Church of England, this is done by the reading of Banns or Common Licence. In some circumstances the Minister at a Church of England can’t read the banns so will refer couples to their relevant register office.

You must give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony or formation. Your ceremony or formation must be held within 12 months of giving notice.

Details of the cost of giving notice, charged per person, can be found on the fees page

Find out what you need to book an appointment to give notice

If you have booked a date for your marriage ceremony or civil partnership formation and now wish to book a notice appointment

You will need to tell us the names of the people getting married or forming a civil partnership, your chosen venue, and preferred date for the ceremony.

Make an enquiry about a Notice of marriage or civil partnership formation

Documents you need to show

Full details of the accepted forms of documentary evidence