Leaving home against your will

If you are under 16 and have to leave to home because you are told to do so by your parents, family or guardian, then Children's Services can help with support and advice. They may have to place you in foster care if the disagreements are not resolved.

A local authority has a duty to provide accommodation to a young person who meets certain criteria for being homeless:

  • no one has parental responsibility for you
  • you are lost or abandoned
  • the person who has been caring for you is unable to continue to provide suitable care and accommodation
  • you are aged 16 or 17 and the local authority considers your welfare would be seriously threatened if it does not provide accommodation

Where to find out more

Underline image