How to pay the CAZ penalty charge

You may have received a £120 PCN for driving in Bradford's Clean Air Zone (CAZ) and failing to pay any CAZ charges you owe within the 'payment window'.

Use this page to find out how you can pay both your Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) and the outstanding CAZ charge.

When we issue Penalty Charge Notices

We will send you a PCN if you have driven a chargeable, non-compliant vehicle in Bradford's Clean Air Zone and not paid the CAZ charge due within the payment window.

Your deadline for payment

You will need to pay both your £120 PCN and the outstanding CAZ charge which will be either £7, £9 or £50, (depending on your vehicle type). 

You have 28 days to pay. We measure these 28 days from the 'date of service' of your fine. This date is two working days after the post date on the front of the PCN, excluding weekends and Bank Holidays. 

If you pay the PCN within 14 days of the date of service, the PCN is reduced to £60. You will still have to pay the outstanding CAZ charge.

How to make your payment

To pay for the PCN and the outstanding CAZ charge, you will need to provide the following information:

  • the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN) number (for example, DY12345678)
  • your vehicle registration number

Pay the PCN online

Other ways to pay

By telephone

Call 0345 145 0071

You can use your credit or debit card. Please allow one working day after the issue of the PCN before making a payment.

If you disagree with the penalty charge

If you think that you have received a PCN in error (for example, you believe that you paid the daily charge, you can choose to make a representation.

You will find a list of 'compelling reasons for challenging a fine' published on the PCN. Please consider these carefully before deciding what to do.

Warning - If you are intending to make a representation, DO NOT make any payment. We will treat any payment received as an acceptance of liability, and will close the case. We cannot issue refunds for paid penalties.

If you fail to pay the charges

If you do not challenge the fine, and you fail to pay the outstanding charge and the PCN within 28 days, we may issue you with a Charge Certificate. This will increase the penalty charge by 50%, to £180. You will also have to pay the outstanding CAZ charge.

If your vehicle is not UK-registered

If you are driving into a Clean Air Zone in Bradford or another UK city, please ensure you pay the required charge using the GOV.UK Central Clean Air Zone Service. You can find out how to pay the daily CAZ charge here.

We will enforce charges and penalties for non-UK vehicles. 

Underline image