How to appeal a CAZ penalty charge

Making a representation (appeal) against a PCN

These are the reasons on which a representation can be made:

I was not the owner of the vehicle at the time the vehicle was used in the Clean Air Zone

Please provide the name and address of the person you sold the vehicle to and provide proof of sale, such as a dated invoice or receipt when submitting your representation.

If you acquired the vehicle after the date the vehicle was detected in the zone, please provide the name and address of the person the vehicle was acquired from and provide proof of dated transfer such as an invoice and the vehicle registration document (V5c ‘log book’).

The charge did not apply to the vehicle

For example, the vehicle met the applicable emissions standard or a vehicle exemption was approved prior to the date of travel.

Please provide evidence relating to the vehicle meeting the required standard such as an updated vehicle registration document (V5c ‘log book’) or the vehicle manufacturer build sheet, either which should state the Euro standard of the vehicle.

If a vehicle exemption has been approved, please provide a copy of the exemption award letter.

The charge for using the vehicle in the zone was paid by getting a license in time from the Drive In A Clean Air Zone website

Please provide a copy of your receipt or the unique payment reference number when submitting your representation.

The vehicle was used in the Clean Air Zone by someone else without my knowledge or consent

For example, the vehicle had been stolen and the crime reported to the police.

Please provide the name and address of the person who you believe was using or keeping the vehicle (if known). If you reported the vehicle as stolen, provide the crime reference number, unique police reference number or the insurance claim reference.

Alternatively, please provide other evidence the vehicle was stolen or used without your consent.

We are a vehicle hire (or lease) company firm and the vehicle was in use by a hirer or lessee

Please provide the hirer’s or lessor’s full name and address with a copy of the hire or lease agreement that includes a statement of liability for road user charges or penalty charges.

The council has made a procedural error when dealing with my case or the PCN

If you believe there has been a failure on the part of the council in relation to the PCN or its enforcement, you must explain in full how you believe this to be the case.

The penalty charge exceeded the amount applicable in the circumstances of the case

The amount of the penalty charge is set in the relevant charging order. This ground applies if a different penalty is claimed.

How do I make a representation?

To view images of your vehicle and to make a representation visit the link on the back of the Penalty Charge Notice or via the link below. You will need your PCN reference number and vehicle registration number.

Make a representation online

Alternatively, representations can be made in writing and posted to:

Clean Air Zone Enforcement Office, 1st Floor Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford BD1 1HX

I’ve made a representation, what happens next?

If you have submitted a representation online, you should receive an automated acknowledgement email to advise you that your representation has been received.

Once a representation has been received, the enforcement process is put on hold until a decision on your representation is made. It is important to make your representation as soon as possible to put the process on hold within the 14-day discounted payment period in case you decide to pay the PCN at a later date.

Please be aware that representations may take up to 56 days to decide upon.

We request that all evidence in support of your representation is provided in the first instance where possible or at the earliest opportunity. If further evidence is needed before a decision can be made, we will contact you to request this.

Once a decision is made on your representation, we will write to you to advise you of the outcome.

If your representation is successful, your PCN will be cancelled.

If your representation is not successful, you will be sent a Notice of Rejection which will give you the option to pay the penalty charge or to request an independent review by the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT).

Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT)

The Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT) decides motorists’ appeals against Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs), issued by local authorities and charging authorities in England (outside London) and Wales, for parking and traffic contraventions.

For more information about the TPT visit the Traffic Penalty Tribunal website.

If you do not request an independent review to the TPT, pay the charge, or pay the charge within 28 days of an unsuccessful review at the TPT, you will be issued with a Charge Certificate.  

I have received a Charge Certificate

A charge certificate allows us to register the unpaid penalty charge at county court (Traffic Enforcement Centre).

The issuing of a Charge Certificate will increase the penalty charge by 50%, to £180. You will also have to pay the outstanding CAZ charge.

There is still an option to pay the charge within 14 days of the issue of a Charge Certificate before the debt is registered at court.

You can find more information about the debt recovery process once a debt is registered at the Traffic Enforcement Centre on our page What will happen if I do not pay?

I want to pay my PCN

You will need the vehicle registration number and the PCN reference number to be able to make a payment. PCNs can be paid by one of the following methods:

Pay a PCN online

By phone: Credit or debit card payment on 0345 1450071

Find out more about how to pay a CAZ penalty charge.