Support for people who have a hearing impairment

Technology Enabled Care (TEC) in Bradford District

We have an online guide for residents, families and professionals that explains how TEC and Sensory Needs devices can be used at home. It has a number of short films about the devices. You can undertake a self-assessment to help decide what products might be suitable for you, and book a home assessment with a member of the Safe and Sound Team. You can access the guide on our Technology Enabled Care website.

Who are these services for?

Services available for anyone in living the Bradford Metropolitan District who is experiencing difficulties due to deafness or hearing loss.

What is available?

General advice and information

Advice and information about your hearing loss. You can contact us Monday to Friday between 8.30am and 4.30pm. You can call on 01274 435001 or email

Demonstration of specialist equipment for people who are Deaf or hearing impaired

Contact us and make an appointment for demonstration by calling us on 01274 435001, emailing or video call What's App 07582 101116.

There is a charge for some of the equipment and a financial assessment may be carried out to find out what your contribution could be.

Metro bus pass applications for people who are Deaf or hearing impaired

  1. Go to the Metro website and register for a bus pass. You will need a head and shoulders passport type photograph. Metro will contact us to verify your level of Deafness and we will approve or reject the application.
  2. Once approved Metro will send you a pass
  3. If you cannot access the website for any reason, don’t worry, just let us know and we can help with the process. Just call us on 01274 435001 or email

Deaf Duty Service

Support by specialists in Hearing Loss. This service is currently being provided via telephone, text message or video call. Pre-arranged face to face appointments and home visits can be arranged if necessary.

Deaf Independence Project (DIPs)

Offers support to people who are Deaf with additional difficulties.  We offer:

  • travel training
  • independent living skills training
  • communication skills development
  • social interaction
  • support for families including awareness sessions
  • Relay Interpreting (via BSL Interpreting Services)
  • two group meetings per week

If you know someone that would be helped by using the Deaf Independence Project just call us on 01274 435001 or email

An assessment will be done and a plan put in place. There is no charge for the short term services and training but if attending the twice weekly group there is a charge and a financial assessment may be carried out to find out what your contribution could be.

Will any of these services cost me anything?

There is no charge for advice, information, assessments or short-term rehabilitation services.  However, there might be a charge for any Adult Social Care services you receive. The amount you pay will depend on the services you receive and your financial situation, the amount you have in savings and your income. If adult social care is the right option for you, a financial assessment will be undertaken to determine the amount you should pay.

British Sign Language interpreting services

  • British Sign Language Interpreters – for profoundly Deaf Sign Language users
  • Lipspeakers – for Deaf people that rely on lip-reading and are not Sign Language users
  • Electronic Notetakers – for Deaf people that struggle lip reading and are not Sign Language users
  • Palantypists /Speech to Text Reporters – used mainly in conference settings. Developing subtitles in a live setting.

To access these services, you can contact us using any of the following:

Telephone: 01274 435019
Text only: 07800 002274
BSL Interpreting WhatsApp: 07790 347389

We will need:

  • the name of the person needing the interpreter and an email address or text number
  • the date, time, venue and a purpose for the appointment
  • contact details for the appointment, such as a phone number

Mail reading service

A BSL Interpreter helps dealing with post, emails and making phone calls – accessible via video call or face to face appointment pre bookable in advance.

Email us with your issue and your contact details to and let us know your preferred video calling app and we will contact you with an appointment. If possible email a copy of the letter too. Alternatively use What's App 07790 347389.

On the day of your appointment an interpreter will contact you via video and help with any phone calls you need to make – you will need to have the phone numbers ready for them to call.

Will any of these services cost me anything?

The cost for a Sign Language Interpreter is usually paid by the service provider, for example Bradford Council, NHS, or Jobcentre, under The Equality Act (2010). However a charge is payable for social events such as weddings or private parties.  BSL Interpreter costs for funerals are funded by Bradford Council if the funeral is within the Bradford Metropolitan District. For further information about charging please contact the Interpreting Service.

Sign language classes

Please note that we do not run sign language classes. 

If you are looking for courses or lessons please contact your local college or the Bradford Deaf Association ( for more information.

Dual Sensory Loss Service

We can offer advice and support if someone is Hearing Impaired and is losing their sight.

Please call 01274 435001 or email for more information.

How do I contact the Sensory Needs Service?

Morley Street Resource Centre
124 Morley Street

Telephone: 01274 435001


Accessible formats



Easy Read

Contact details

Morley Street Resource Centre
124 Morley Street

General enquiries : 01274 435001
Fax : 01274 435482
Email :

Interpreting Service:
Telephone: 01274 435019
Text only: 07800 002274
Fax: 01274 435482