Environmental Health Privacy Notice

What information do we collect

The Environmental Health Service may collect some, or all, of the following information about you depending on which of our services you use:

All services

  • Name, address, contact details (including telephone/mobile number, emails and website addresses)
  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance Number

Gypsy and Traveller Services

  • Any previous tenancy agreement/landlord details
  • Any previous tenancy breaches
  • Information regarding any medical, educational and social needs
  • Financial information
  • Vehicle and caravan details
  • Details of others living in your household
  • Details of previous convictions

Communicable Diseases

  • Medical information
  • Details of recent travel

Applications for licences and registrations

  • Details of previous convictions

Who uses this information?

Environmental Health staff use this information. It may also be used by other council partner agencies where it is legal to do so. See the section on ‘Who are we likely to share this information with?’.

What does Bradford Council do with this information?

We use this information about you to process

  • statutory inspections of premises or processes
  • applications for licences, registrations or certificates
  • applications for pitches on our two fixed Gypsy and Traveller sites
  • possession orders for unauthorised Gypsy and Traveller encampments
  • notifications of certain infectious diseases
  • legal proceedings in cases of non-compliance with legislation
  • the collection of fees and debts owed to Bradford Council

What authority does Bradford Council have to collect and use this information?

Under the UK General Data Protection Regulations, CBMDC collects and uses this information under powers given to Local Authorities (councils). The following categories of lawfulness apply:

  • 6(1)(c) Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation
  • 6(1)(e) Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller

In circumstances where we don’t have a legal authority to use your information, we will always obtain your prior consent.

What is 'person identifiable data'?

The term 'person identifiable data' relates to any data that could potentially identify a specific individual. The following are classified as person identifiable: name, age, address, postcode, place of birth, date of birth, gender, national insurance number or any information about an individual that can be used directly, or in connection with other data, to identify, contact or locate that person.

Why do we use this information?

We use this information to ensure that the Council delivers its legal obligations when inspecting premises and/or processes and dealing with complaints and requests for service. We also use this information to assist individuals/ families by helping them to obtain pitches on Gypsy and Traveller sites, we have regard to any welfare issues when dealing with unauthorised encampments and to prevent the spread of infectious diseases.

Who are we likely to share this information with?

We may sometimes share the information we have collected about you where it is necessary, lawful and fair to do so. In each case we will only share the minimum amount of information, only when it is required, for the following reasons:

With other Bradford Council departments to

  • help safeguard vulnerable adults and children
  • provide advice and assistance to you
  • to assist in undertaking their legal duties, including the enforcement of legislation
  • to protect public money

With other government departments and the police to

  • help process Housing Benefit
  • help process applications for accommodation and licences
  • prevent, detect and prosecute crime

With other organisations (with your consent, or where the law allows us) to

  • provide services to you on the Council's behalf
  • provide services to the Council
  • protect public money (we may pass your details to debt collection agencies if you have not paid what is owed to the Council)
  • share information with West Yorkshire Police and Yorkshire Water with whom we have formal data sharing arrangements

How do we keep this information secure?

Your information is stored securely on database and document management systems. These have strict access and usage policies and procedures.

How long do we keep this information?

We have a retention schedule which details how long we keep different types of records.  Records are kept for no longer than 6 years unless there is a legal requirement to keep them for a longer period.  All records are destroyed when we no longer require them.

What are your rights?

You have the right to request CBMDC to stop processing your personal data in relation to any council service.  See our main Privacy Notice for details.

This page was last updated on :
Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 02:35 PM

Contact details

Department of Waste, Fleet and Transport – Trade Waste Services
Harris Street Depot
Harris Street

Other pages in this section