Help for homeowners with home improvements

If you own your home and meet certain conditions, the Council can help you pay to make your home warm, safe and dry. The Council can give financial assistance to homeowners to carry out essential repairs or improvements.

What repairs and improvements are covered

If you qualify for financial assistance the Council can help pay for repairs or improvements which will either tackle risks to your health and safety or which will bring your home up to a "decent" standard.  This will generally include things like:

  • Mending a leaking roof.
  • Fixing faulty wiring.
  • Replacing old kitchens and bathrooms.
  • Installing central heating.

How to apply for help

You can find out more about how you can apply for help and how we deal with your application by seeing our What happens if you ask for help with repairs page.

We also have some more information about other organisations and schemes that may be able to help.

Home Appreciation Loans and Health and Safety Assistance are provided by the Council as part of our Comprehensive Housing Renewal Policy.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for emails about housing and homes

Contact details

Housing Service
8th Floor
Margaret McMillan Tower
Princes Way

Phone : 01274 434520
Email :

Other pages in this section

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now