Why do we collect and use information about you?
The Revenues & Benefits Service collects and uses information about you so that it can process:
- applications and payments for Housing Benefit
- applications for Council Tax Reduction
- Free School Meals for your children
- the billing and collection of Business Rates
- the billing and collection of Council Tax, and
- the collection of other debts owed to the Council
If your Housing Benefit is paid directly to your landlord, we may discuss payment details (amounts and dates) with them as we have to provide this information.
In what other ways will we use or share information about you?
We may sometimes share the information we have collected about you where it is necessary, lawful and fair to do so. In each case we will only share the minimum amount of information needed for the following reasons:
With other Bradford Council departments to:
- help safeguard vulnerable adults and children
- provide advice and assistance to you
- make it easier for you to register to vote in elections
- help carry out their legal duties, including the enforcement of regulations
- protect public money
With other government departments and the police to:
- help process Housing Benefit and other benefits (Department for Work and Pensions and HM Revenue & Customs)
- prevent, detect and prosecute crime (when specifically requested by West Yorkshire Police and other law enforcement agencies)
- protect public money
With other organisations (with your consent, or where the law allows us) to:
- provide services to you on the Council’s behalf
- provide services to the Council
- provide advice and assistance to you where you have requested it (this may include advice agencies such as the Citizens Advice Bureau)
- protect public money (we may pass your details to debt collection agencies if you have not paid what is owed to the Council)
Whenever we collect, process or share your personal information we do so in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Sometimes we may use the information you have provided us for research and analysis to help us better deliver services and share this with our partners. When we do so, we remove any personal information that may identify you as an individual or household and only use and share anonymous statistics
You can find out more about data protection, freedom of information and open data as well as your rights, on our Open Data page.