Where to get advice on your tenancy

Private tenants can have several different types of tenancy. Some of these give you more rights than others.

It's very important to know what kind of tenancy you have, as it can have a big impact on your rights. The vast majority of private tenants are assured shorthold tenants but it is possible that you have a different type of tenancy. It usually depends on the sort of accommodation you live in and when your tenancy started. You may not necessarily have the type of tenancy that your tenancy agreement, or your landlord, says you have.

If you are having difficulties with your tenancy, need face-to-face housing advice or are threatened with homelessness, you can contact the Housing Options Service.


If you are having problems with outstanding repairs that the landlord will not carry out, please contact the Housing Standards Team on 01274 434520.

Organisations that can help

The following organisations provide help and advice to tenants on all aspects of housing and tenancy issues

CHAS @ St Vincent’s Community Support Centre
Allenby House
Rees Way
Telephone: 01274 726790 – Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Website: www.chasbradford.btck.co.uk Email: admin@chasbradford.org.uk

Bradford Citizens Advice
Argus Chambers

Shipley Citizens Advice
6-8 Windsor Road
BD18 3EQ

Keighley Citizens Advice
Central Hall, Alice Street
BD21 3JD

General Telephone Advice Line - 0344 245 1282
Dedicated Debt Advice Line - Non Emergency - 01274 758047
Website: www.citizensadvice.org.uk/local/bradford-airedale/

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for emails about housing and homes

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.


Council Switchboard : 01274 432111

Council Address : Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford BD1 1HX

© 2017 City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council