The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005
The Dog Control Orders (Prescribed Offences and Penalties, etc) Regulations 2006 (S.I. 2006/1059)
The Fouling of Land by Dogs Bradford Order 2011
The City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council hereby makes the following Order:
- This Order comes into force on 1 June 2011.
- The land to which this Order is to apply to is any land within the City of Bradford Metropolitan District which is open to the air and to which the public is entitled or permitted to have access either with or without payment. This is to include all access land.
- If a dog defecates at any time on land to which this Order applies and a person who is in charge of the dog at that time fails to remove the faeces from the land forthwith, that person shall be guilty of an offence unless
- he has a reasonable excuse for failing to do so; or
- the owner, occupier or other person or authority having control of the land has consented (generally or specifically) to his failing to do so.
- Nothing in this article applies to a person who
- is registered as a blind person in a register compiled under section 29 of the National Assistance Act 1948; or
- has a disability which affects his mobility, manual dexterity, physical co-ordination or ability to lift, carry or otherwise move everyday objects, in respect of a dog trained by a prescribed charity and upon which he relies for assistance.
- For the purposes of this article
- a person who habitually has a dog in his possession shall be taken to be in charge of the dog at any time unless at that time some other person is in charge of the dog;
- placing the faeces in a receptacle on the land which is provided for the purpose, or for the disposal of waste, shall be a sufficient removal from the land;
- being unaware of the defecation (whether by reason of not being in the vicinity or otherwise), or not having a device for or other suitable means of removing the faeces shall not be a reasonable excuse for failing to remove the faeces;
- each of the following is a “prescribed charity” –
- Dogs for the Disabled (registered charity number 700454);
- Support Dogs (registered charity number 1088281);
- Canine Partners for Independence (registered charity number 803680).
- A person who is guilty of an offence under article 3 shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale.
Dated this 1st day of October 2010
The COMMON SEAL OF THE CITY of BRADFORD METROPOLITAN DISTRICT COUNCIL was affixed this 19th day of May 2011.
The order may be inspected at, and copies obtained from Environmental Health, 6th Floor Jacob's Well, Bradford BD1 5RW.The order may also be inspected on the Council's website at www.bradford.gov.uk