To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from Bradford Council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Am I eligible to apply?
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
How we evaluate your application
Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached.
The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.
What to do if we refuse your application
Please contact Bradford Council.