Certain properties in rural areas can receive help with their Business Rates. The rural areas concerned are contained in the Council's current rural settlements list. The current list contains the following settlements:
- Burley Woodhead
- Dean Head
- East Morton
- Well Heads
- West Scholes
A rural settlement is defined as a settlement with a population of no more than 3,000 which is wholly or partly within a Council's area.
Please note - the rateable values and percent relief shown below may change once central government has sent more information to local authorities. This information is due to be sent before 1 April 2017.
The Council must give 50% relief to the following that are situated in a rural settlement:
- Post Office - where it is the only Post Office in the settlement and has a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
- General Store - where it is the only General Store in the settlement and has a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
- All Food Store - Where they have a rateable value of £8,500 or less
- Public House - where it is the only Public House in the settlement and has a rateable value of £12,500 or less
- Petrol Filling Station - where it is the only Petrol Filling Station in the settlement and has a rateable value of £12,500 or less
The Council also has the discretion to allow up to 100% relief to any non-domestic property in a rural settlement with a rateable value of £16,500 or less (including the extra 50% for those that fall in the above category).
The Council can only use its discretion to allow such relief if it is satisfied that the property is used for a purpose that benefits the local community.