Universal Credit - you may need to make a new claim

Important information for those who claimed Universal Credit (UC) in the district before 20 June 2018

Universal Credit Full Service was rolled out in the district on 20 June 2018. If you claimed before this date (it was called Universal Credit Live Service) then you will need to make a new Universal Credit claim.

How do I make a new claim?

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will contact you by phone and invite you to an interview at the Jobcentre. This interview is to deal with switching your claim to the new service.

When will the DWP contact me to arrange an interview?

The DWP will contact you from 3 September and an interview will take place between 5 September and 5 October 2018. While you are in the Jobcentre you will be assisted to make the online application.

What do I need to do in the mean time?

  • Make sure the DWP have your current phone number, either by telling your Work Coach or notifying the Universal Credit Service Centre.
  • Make sure that you have an email address and access to a computer, smartphone or tablet. For help with these, please look at:
  • You will be asked to provide proof of your ID and proof of your rent and any other information relating to your claim such as child care costs. You should make sure you have these documents available.

Why is this important?

The DWP will try and contact you three times by phone, after which they will write to you. If they don’t hear from you, your UC claim will be closed down.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for email updates about benefits

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now