Can my claim for Benefit or Council Tax Reduction be backdated?

You can ask for a backdate if there is a reason that you did not apply for benefit earlier. You will need to tell us the reasons so that we can make a decision based on your circumstances about whether to allow a backdate.

If we allow a backdate, it can be paid for a maximum period of:

  • one month if you are of working age ( this means below the qualifying age for State Pension Credit)
  • three months for people of pension age ( this means above the qualifying age for State Pension Credit)

You can ask for a backdate when you are completing a new application form or in writing, you need to include:

  • your name
  • address
  • claim reference number
  • the date you want the claim to start
  • the reasons for not applying earlier

If you disagree with the date your claim starts for another reason you will need to make an appeal.

Underline image

Stay connected Image of an envelope

Sign up for email updates about benefits

Contact details

Visit us (call us first to make an appointment):
Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford, BD1 1HX
Eccleshill Library, Bolton Road, Eccleshill, BD2 4SR
Laisterdyke Library, Manse Street, Bradford, BD3 8RP
St Oswald’s West End Centre, Southfield Road, Little Horton, BD5 9DH
Manningham Library, Carlisle Road, BD8 8BB
Shipley Library, 2 Wellcroft, Shipley, BD18 3QH
Keighley Town Hall, Bow Street, Keighley, BD21 3PA
Ilkley Town Hall, Station Road, LS29 8HB

Call us : 01274 432772
Text message (SMS) : 07786 208 100
Email :

Write to us at:

Housing Benefits and Reductions
PO Box 1251

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.

Rate this page now

Council Switchboard : 01274 432111

Council Address : Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford BD1 1HX

© 2018 City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council