Paying for non residential care

What services do I have to contribute to?

A contribution will be made for the following services whether the service is provided by the Council or purchased from somewhere else.

Help in your home

Where you get help with things like getting dressed, shopping etc, whilst living in your own home.

Day Care

Where you go out during the day to a Day Centre, Resource Centre or Residential or Nursing Home but return to your own home each night.

Sitting Services

Where you have someone in your home with you from time to time while your usual carer goes out or does other things.

Direct Payments/Individual Accounts

Where payment is made direct to you for you to purchase your own care.

How does it work?

First of all, you will be asked to fill in a form, the Personal Financial Statement (A11), and send it back to us. This form asks about your income, any benefits you get, and any savings you have.

After completing and returning the form to us, a member of our specialist finance team will contact you or your representative to make arrangements to carry out your individual financial assessment.

When we get in to contact with you or your representative, we will ask for information which is listed below.

Where your money comes from:

  • retirement pension 
  • private/works pension 
  • rent you receive from a house you own and rent out

If you receive any benefits, such as:

  • Disability Living Allowance 
  • Attendance Allowance 
  • Personal Independence Payment 
  • Severe Disability Premium 
  • Incapacity Benefit 
  • Income Support 
  • Employment Support Allowance 
  • Pension Credit

Any savings you may have:

  • savings in a bank or building society 
  • post office savings/national savings 
  • premium bonds 
  • stocks and shares 
  • ISA 
  • trust funds 
  • compensation awards 
  • property you don’t live in and own or part own

We will work out how much you will have to pay each week and write to you telling you this. If you are assessed as having to make a contribution this will be payable from the date that the service starts.

At the same time as the financial assessment we will also make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to and also help you to claim if you have nobody to do this on your behalf.

What if I don't want to give you details of my finances?

You don't have to. But this means that we'll have to charge you the full cost of the service. If you decide to accept this, you only need to sign the 'Alternative Declaration' on the back of the financial information form (A11) and send it back to us.

How much will I have to contribute?

The charge will be based on your own financial circumstances, not those of your carer, spouse, partner, child or anyone else living in your household.

Only an individual’s income and savings are taken into account except when they can reasonably be considered to have access to income or savings held in a partner’s name or in joint names. In the case of joint accounts an equal proportion will be assumed unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

Where benefit is in payment to either partner, only that benefit or premium which relates directly to the service user will be taken into account.

For each person, we calculate a charge against the following four elements:

  • basic charge 
  • some disability benefits 
  • any other income 
  • savings

These charges will be added together and compared against the amount of services you are receiving. If you receive less service than the calculated charge you will only be charged the costs of the services you receive. We will never charge anyone more than the cost of the service.

Exactly how we work out the charges is shown below.

Basic charge

If your total income including Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Severe Disability Premium is greater than the amounts shown below there will be a basic charge of £4.55

Age Income per Week
18 to 24 £135.01
25 to 59 £152
60+ £190


If you receive Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance (Care) at the middle or higher rate or Personal Independence Payment, you'll pay £18.18 per week.

If you receive the Severe Disability premium of Income Support or Pension Credit you'll pay an extra £20.41 per week or 33% of any amount you receive if you don't get the maximum amount of the premium.

If you receive a payment from the Independent Living Fund the above charge for Attendance Allowance (AA) and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) will be reduced by half. This is because you are expected to contribute half of your Disability Living Allowance to Independent Living Fund towards the cost of the care package provided.

If you receive a payment from the Independent Living Fund and Severe Disability Premium you will not incur a charge against your Severe Disability Premium as you are expected to contribute all of your Severe Disability Premium to the Independent Living Fund.

We will help you check that you are getting all the benefits you're entitled to, via our Welfare Rights team. For further details please contact our Charges Assessment Team on the numbers at the bottom of the page.


Income excluding AA and DLA care component will be totalled and any contribution will be calculated as shown in the table.

To calculate what this is we will ignore the following:

  • Disability Living Allowance (Mobility & Care) 
  • Attendance Allowance 
  • Severe Disability Premium 
  • any War Disablement Pension or War Widow's Pension 
  • Guaranteed Income Payments from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme 
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment Mobility 
  • Housing Benefit 
  • Council Tax Reduction 
  • all earned income 
  • Independent Living Fund 
  • Child Benefit


If your savings are more than £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your care. If your savings are between £14,250 and £23,250 you will pay £1 for every £250 above the £14,250. If your savings are below £14,250 you will not have anything to contribute from your savings. See the table for the exact weekly amounts.

If you have more than £23,250 in savings or do not want to disclose your financial information you will have to pay the full cost of your care.

If compensation or insurance payments have been awarded and this payment takes account of or can be assumed to cover the likely full cost of future care then the full cost of services will be charged.

How will I make payments?

You will be invoiced for your contribution every year. You can make weekly or monthly instalments through

  • Direct Debit 
  • debit card 
  • cheque or postal order 
  • BACs 
  • standing order 
  • in person 
  • at a Post Office

To make arrangements to pay service users should contact 01274 437724.

Where you receive a Direct Payment, payments are made by the Council six weeks in advance to the individual’s Direct Payment bank account. This amount is reduced by the amount a persons care costs. You will be expected to pay the assessed contribution into that account according to the Direct Payment agreement.

What do I do if my financial circumstances change?

You must notify changes to their financial circumstances as these can affect their financial assessment.

There will be an annual financial assessment carried out regardless of whether there have been any changes to service.

What if I can’t afford the charges you work out for me?

When we work out your charge you must tell us about any extra expenses have because of illness or disability. It is very important to tell us about these expenses as we could reduce your charge.

What do I need to tell you?

Please give us as much information as possible about your circumstances to show us why you cannot afford your charge.

  1. The extra costs you may have because of your health needs, such as: 
    • heating 
    • laundry 
    • food for a special diet 
    • special clothing 
    • extra wear and tear on clothing and bedding 
    • travel costs
  2. Details of your housing costs (especially if these needs are high because of your health needs). 
  3. Details of any debt that you are trying to pay off such as: 
    • rent or mortgage arrears 
    • fuel bills 
    • council tax arrears 
    • court fines 
    • water rates bills 
    • Details of any payments you make to another organisation which provides you with care.

How do I tell you about my extra costs?

You can telephone the Contributions Team

  • Bradford 01274 437975 
  • Keighley 01535 618109

Or write to:

Charges Appeals
6th Floor South
Jacob's Well
Manchester Road

What happens then?

A panel of senior managers will look at all the information you have provided and will take into account the money you have coming in and the extra expenses you are paying out. You may be contacted for more information.

After they have made a decision we will write to let you know if your charge will remain the same or be reduced.

What if I do not agree with this decision?

You should write a letter and send it to the address above, stating why you disagree with the decision.

Your circumstances will be looked at again by the Assistant Director, who will write to you with a decision. If you are still not happy with this decision, you can appeal to a committee of local councillors.

Where can I get more information?

You can get more information from your Social Worker or Home Care Worker

The Charges Assessment Team can give help, advice and information.

Why do Social Services charge for its services?

Central Government expects Social Services departments to raise income to help pay for the services they provide.

This means that we may have to ask you to pay something towards the service you get from us. What we ask you to pay is now subject to guidelines from the Government. For instance your income has to be above a certain level before we can charge you and the amount we charge if you have savings is also decided by the Government. Whatever we decide to charge you, it will not be more than we think you can reasonably afford.

We are committed to providing quality services and believe that you get excellent value for money from us. Most people will pay much less than their services actually cost. No one will pay more.

Underline image

Contact details

Charges Assessment Team
Adult and Community Services Community Care Administration
6th Floor South
Jacob's Well
Manchester Road

Bradford : 01274 437975
Keighley : 01535 618109
Email :

Rate this page

The feedback you provide will help us continue to make improvements to our website.


Council Switchboard : 01274 432111

Council Address : Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford BD1 1HX

© 2017 City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council