Skip navigation |
[Viewing Options]

Transport and Roads

How to pay or challenge a parking penalty or bus lane penalty

View evidence of or appeal against your parking penalty nowView evidence of, pay or appeal against your parking or bus lane penalty now

Other ways to pay

By telephone

Call 01274 280233

You can use your credit or debit card. Please allow one working day after the issue of the notice before making a payment.

By post

Customer Payments, Dept 5, Britannia House, Hall Ings, Bradford BD1 1HX

Send a cheque or Postal Order, made payable to 'Bradford Council' to the address above, please include your parking ticket reference number. If you require a receipt, please include a stamped addressed envelope.

In person

Take your PCN to any PayPoint or Post Office. Pay by cash only.

Find your nearest PayPoint or Post Office on a mapFind your nearest PayPoint or Post Office on a map

How much do I have to pay?

If you contravene the parking regulations, you will get a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN). Depending on the seriousness of the offence you will be charged either the higher rate of £70 or the lower rate of £50.

Bus lane contraventions will be charged at a higher rate £60.

The longer you wait before you pay the penalty charge, the more it will cost you.

If you pay within 14 days

If you pay within 14 days of receiving the PCN, the charge is reduced by 50% to either £35 or £25 for parking contraventions, and £30 for bus lane contraventions.

If you pay within 28 days

After 14 days, you will have to pay the full charge.

If you do not pay within 28 days

If payment is not received within 28 days, the owner of the vehicle may be sent a statutory notice known as a Notice to Owner (NTO), and they will have to pay the full amount.

If payments or representations are still not made within 28 days of the NTO, the Council may send a Charge Certificate and the cost of the original penalty charge will be increased by 50% of the original charge.

What will happen if I don't pay?

If payment is not made 21 days after receipt of the Charge Certificate we may register the charge with the Traffic Enforcement Centre (TEC) at Northampton County Court to recover the unpaid charge. This will add a further £7 in costs.

We may then take legal action against you which can involve using bailiffs to recover unpaid penalty charges and there will be further costs to pay.

How do I appeal against a penalty charge notice?

If you think you've been incorrectly given a PCN, you can challenge it.

Please Note

If you pay the charge you lose your right of appeal. If you wish to appeal, do not pay the charge.

Challenge the parking ticket

You can challenge the parking ticket up to 28 days after it was issued (if you have not received a Notice to Owner).

Challenge your PCN nowChallenge your Penalty Charge Notice now

You can also write to us to challenge your parking ticket. Please send the letter to the address below.

If we receive your appeal within 14 days the ticket will be frozen at the discounted amount of either £35 or £25 until you receive a decision of your appeal.

If your appeal is unsuccessful you will be given another 14 days from the date of the decision to pay the discounted amount. After 14 days, you will have to pay the full amount.

Make a representation

If you do not pay or challenge your parking ticket within 28 days, you will be sent a Notice to Owner. You then have the option to either pay the fine or make a representation.

Make a representation about your PCN nowMake a representation about your Penalty Charge Notice now

You can also write to us to make a representation about your parking ticket. Please send the letter to the address below.


Parking Services
PO BOX 848
BD1 5UH.

What happens next?

The Council will assess each case and if it is found that the PCN was issued incorrectly, it will be cancelled and no payment required.

Alternatively, if the Council feels the PCN was issued correctly then a letter will be sent explaining the reasons for the decision. The Council will also explain at this stage how an appeal may be made to an independent adjudicator at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT). The Adjudication will consider each case and their decision is final.

Parking and Traffic Regulations

The council is a member of the Parking and Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL) Adjudication Joint Committee.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Bradford Metropolitan District Council website. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy policy.