Read yourself better!
Whilst medication or therapy can be very effective in treating some conditions, people can often help themselves by reading the right “self help” book. As with other self help methods, the reader has to be prepared to put in some effort. The book may guide you to do a self assessment, complete a diary or follow some exercises. Look out for the Wellbeing books in your local library.
How to use the Wellbeing books
The Wellbeing self-help books can be used in different ways:
- You may select a Wellbeing book from the list below, and then work through it yourself at your own pace.
- You may be asked to read a Wellbeing book by an NHS professional as part of your treatment.
Some of the Wellbeing books have diary sheets, activity logs, questionnaires, etc to be completed by the reader. Please do not write in the books. The library staff will photocopy the pages you require free of charge.
What if the Wellbeing book doesn’t seem to help?
Wellbeing books can help people to make significant changes in their lives, but they may not work for everyone.
If you are still experiencing difficulties or distress after trying your best with the self-help programme, please contact the NHS professional who recommended the Wellbeing book, or visit your G.P or Practice Nurse. They will give you further advice and support.
Joining the Library
To borrow Wellbeing books, you need to join the Library. It is free to join: either call in to your local library or join online. You will just need to bring something with your name and address on it when you first visit the library.
There are full Wellbeing Book Collections in the following libraries
Allerton Library 01274 437222
Baildon Library 01274 581425
Bingley Library 01274 438780
Burley Library 01943 863714
Central Library 01274 433659
Clayton Library 01274 880689
Eccleshill Library 01274 431544
Great Horton Library 01274 431583
Holmewood Library 01274 684012
Ilkley Library 01943 436225
Keighley Library 01535 618212
Laisterdyke Library 01274 434724
Manningham Library 01274 543516
Menston Library 01943 876539
Shipley Library 01274 437150
Wibsey Library 01274 679043
Wyke Library 01274 676830
Phone the library or check the list of libraries for opening times.
All other Bradford Libraries have smaller collections of self-help books.
- Overcoming Problem Drinking - Spada, Marcantonio
- Overcoming your Alcohol, Drug and Recovery Habits - DeSena, Jim
- Overcoming Anger and Irritability - Davies, William
- The Anger Control Workshop - McKay, M & Rodgers, P
- Overcoming Anorexia Nervosa - Freeman, C & Cooper, P
- Coping With Anxiety - Brosnan, L & Hogan, B
- Overcoming Anxiety - Kennerley, Helen
- Overcoming Anxiety: A Five Areas Approach - Williams, Chris
- Assertiveness: step by step - Dryden, W & Constantinou, D
- Overcoming Grief - Morris, Sue
- Courage to Grieve - Tatelbaum, Judy
Binge Eating Disorder
- Overcoming Bulimia Nervosa and Binge-Eating
- Cooper, Peter
- Overcoming Chronic Fatigue - Burgess, M & Chalder, T
- Coping With Depression - Brosan, L & Hogan, B
- Overcoming Depression - Gilbert, Paul
- Overcoming Depression: A Five Areas Approach - Williams, Chris
- Mind Over Mood - Greenberger, D & Padesky, C
- Overcoming Compulsive Gambling -Blazszynski, Alex
- Coping With Health Anxiety - Young, C & Hogan, B
Obsessions & Compulsion
- Coping With Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Brosan, Lee
- Overcoming Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Veal, L & Wilson, R
- Overcoming Chronic Pain - Cole, Frances & Others
Panic & Agoraphobia
- Coping with Panic - Young, Charles
- Overcoming Panic - Silove, Derrick
- Coping with Phobias - Hogan, Brenda
PTSD / Trauma
- Courage to Heal - Bass, H & Davis, L
- Overcoming Childhood Trauma - Kennerley, Helen
- Overcoming Traumatic Stress - Herbert, C & Wetmore, A
- Overcoming Relationship Problems - Crowe, Michael
- Overcoming Low Self-Esteem - Fennell, Melanie
- Self-Esteem - Lindenfield, Gael
- Overcoming Sexual Problems - Ford, Vicki
- Overcoming Insomnia & Sleep Problems - Espie, Colin
- Overcoming Social Anxiety & Shyness - Butler, Gillian
- The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workshop - Robbins, Eshelman & McKay
- Overcoming Weight Problems - Gauntlett-Gilbert, J
- How to Stop Worrying - Tallis, Frank
- Overcoming Worry - Meares, K & Freeston, M