What is the Cultural Consortium?
The Cultural Consortium brings together public, private and voluntary sector organisations that are working across the Bradford District to:
- Champion creativity, culture and learning across the district
- Promote and improve the cultural life of the district
- Ensure that culture plays a major role in achieving the 2020 Vision
The Cultural Consortium is one of the partnerships connecting into the Bradford District Partnership whose overall purpose is to ensure the delivery of the Cultural Strategy (Only Connect) action programmes and activities associated with it.
What are the role and key responsibilities of the Partnership?
- To monitor the development, promotion, implementation and impact of Bradford District’s Cultural Strategy – ‘Only Connect’ in relation to cultural priorities in ‘The Big Plan’ and the targets in the LAA
- To be the forum to speak for and promote all major aspects of culture in the District
- To promote ownership and pride in the cultural achievements and aspirations of the city
- To be the focal point for co-ordinating the District’s response to regional and national cultural issues and developments and to influence that agenda
- To achieve recognition for the significant contribution of culture to enhance all aspects of the life of the district
- To promote Bradford District as a district of culture at a regional, national and international level
- To ensure equality of access and opportunity
- To develop effective relationships with partners who can contribute to the implementation of the cultural vision
- To maximise the potential for growth and regeneration in the Bradford District using cultural and creative development opportunities
- To share and disseminate knowledge and information within the cultural sector
- To access funds and deploy in order to meet the Consortium’s requirements using appropriate mechanisms
- To provide advice on cultural issues to the City of Bradford MDC, Bradford District Partnership and other relevant organisations as required
Who is involved?
Membership is made up of individuals with experience of, or key roles in, the organisations, agencies and cultural sectors of Bradford District and the Yorkshire and Humber region, this includes:
- CBMDC Portfolio Holder for Culture (Chair)
- Leaders of the 3 main political parties/designated alternates;
- Chair of Sport Forum/Community Sport Network
- Chair of Heritage Forum
- Chair of Arts Forum
- Chair of Parks Forum
- Chair of Libraries & Literature Forum
- CX Arts Council Yorkshire
- CX BRC
- CX Sport England
- CX National Media Museum
- SD Culture Tourism & Sport CBMDC
- Member of the Economic Partnership
- Private Sector Rep/Tourism
- Bradford University
- Bradford College
- Education Bradford
- Community & voluntary sector
- User/specialist groups
How does the Partnership work?
The Cultural Consortium meets bi monthly and is chaired by Cllr Rev Paul Flowers, portfolio holder for Culture, Planning and Highways (CBMDC).
For further information on the work of the Cultural Consortium, please contact: