Healthy cooking skills
Give them a recipe for success – cooking with your child is important for their future. It’s a piece of cake!
Help your child become interested in healthy eating, and practice reading, measuring and counting, by involving them in cooking recipes and shopping.
Here are a few tips on how it can be done:
- Take your child around the supermarket with you and talk about food which is healthy and ask them to look at the ingredients and where food comes from.
- Decide on one of their favourite meals or a new recipe together and shop for the ingredients with them. For older children this could be for a birthday treat or a sleepover.
- Read the recipe with them.
- Measure the ingredients. This helps them learn how to use scales, and numbers and weights.
- Let them stir the mixture, lay out the tins or have a go at making their own sandwiches.
- Younger children may enjoy filling and emptying containers with different foods, such as pasta and lentils.
- Ask youngsters to weigh different foods, such as fruit, to see which is heaviest.
Easy recipe ideas you can download