Skip navigation |
[Viewing Options]

Advice, Benefits and Council Tax

National Welfare Benefit Changes

From April 2013, benefits have been changing. You might have heard of this being called "Welfare Reform". These changes will affect working age people (pensioners will not be affected).

  • Council Tax Reduction- a new local scheme which has replaced Council Tax Benefit.
  • How many bedrooms do you have?- changes to the number of bedrooms a customer is now allowed when calculating their Housing Benefit – this has only affected Housing Association tenants.
  • Benefit cap– setting a maximum amount of Benefit a household can get.
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)– this is a new benefit to replace Disability Living Allowance, and may affect some of the benefits from the Council you already get.
  • Community Care Grants and Crisis Awards - these are grants and awards for general living expenses. It was administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) but has now been replaced with a new local scheme. There are certain criteria for qualifying for these.
  • Universal Credit - a new single payment of benefit for people who are looking for work or are on a low income.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Bradford Metropolitan District Council website. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy policy.